Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week Eight Thing # 19

This week were were to take a look at LibraryThing at http://www.librarything.com and catalog some favorite books.

It was easy to sign up for LibraryThing. I like the fact that many of the books have reviews.

I added the following books to LibraryThing.

Pride and Prejudice
Lord of the Rings
Twilight
These Old Shades
The Handmaid’s Tale

These books were all found, and all had reviews.

I am looking forward to reading the recommendations from other readers. There are titles there with which I am not familiar.

I’ve noticed that there are forums on all sorts of topics. Some people apparently tag the books they have read and so kept track of their reading habits through 2008. I’ve really enjoyed browsing people’s posts. There are lots of good ideas too. Zotero anyone? I still have to look at some of the forums such as science fiction, fantasy, Read YA Lit, Historical fiction etc. The book recommendations should provide me with my next list of want to read books.

I can see how the blog widget from LibraryThing could be used to display new books on a library website. A good example was Shenandoah Public Library.

No comments: