Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Week Eight: Thing # 18

This week I explored Google Docs as I already had a gmail account. I browsed the site, clicked on all the tabs and experimented. Finally I typed in a recipe for Beef Stroganoff as my first entry to Google Docs. I had no trouble doing so. The formatting wasn't quite so tight as when using Word but more experimenting provided good results. Then I tried to upload the document from Google Docs to my Blog. This proved a little more difficult so I needed to go to the Help page. Trial and error eventually saw me achieving my aim. If you look at a previous post you may even try out the recipe - it's very easy.

The idea of sharing a document with others to allow editing is exciting. I can see applications for group assignments, and updating district policies.

I also checked out the google sites tutorial. I'm not sure I’m ready for some of my information to be available publicly. Perhaps I’ll just start with the librarians in my school district as I know they’d be supportive of my efforts. I saw how to add links, insert images, etc. I like the way that site changes mean that I can be notified by email. I can invite other people to see my page.

There are a lot of good ideas and applications...

3 comments:

Booklover said...

Looks great! Cheri, Katherine and I are working on Web 2.0 in 4-S Ranch. Would you like to join us for lunch?

Surfergirl said...

Yes we will support you! Invite us to see your page. Join us (K, M & C) on our Saturday "peer pressure" web 2.0 work day.

MS. PHStl said...

I have a hard time with Google docs.
Remember when we tried it with our meeting notes? Maybe it just takes practice. Would you be willing to get together to finish this off? We miss you! Cheri, Miriam and I are working week 7 this weekend. When can you meet?